Thursday, July 8, 2010

Breithlá Sona Dom (Happy Birthday to Me)

I have an hour for lunch today because I’m skipping Irish Language class (the only one I’m not required to attend), so I decided I would take the time to write a quick update for the blog. I’m sorry for the recent delays in posting and getting pictures up. Now that classes have started I find I don’t have as much time and even less access to internet, which is incredibly frustrating. I will get caught up eventually...hopefully.

Classes are going pretty well. We’re in the first week (out of two) of Irish history lectures. Right now we’re focusing on medieval Irish history and the Christianization of Ireland, if that’s even a word. We’ve had lectures on the Roman Empire, St. Patrick, and St. Brigit in particular. I enjoy most of the lectures and the subject matter is very interesting. I’m getting my first essay subject today and that’s due next Friday, the same day we have our history exam, so we’ll see how that goes.

I’m getting to know the people in my classes a little bit better, and finally starting to be able to put names to faces. I met a large group of people at the Washington Inn (which is actually a pub) to watch the Uruguay/Netherlands game on Tuesday night, which was a lot of fun. I’m starting to feel more comfortable talking to people and everyone seems really nice so far. I think I’ll have some friends by the end of the trip. *crosses fingers*

For my birthday yesterday Mom, Carla, and I had planned to go to a town called Kinsale to get some dinner. The Kinsale area is sort of the cooking capital of Ireland and the restaurants there are supposed to have some of the best food in the country. Unfortunately there was a Clipper Festival there yesterday so we were advised that the town might be too busy to make the trip worth it. Instead we walked to a restaurant called Fenn’s Quay Restaurant by the southern channel of the River Lee (quay is pronounced “key” and it is another word for dock). I had a tomato risotto with prawn that was delicious and we shared some feta and vegetable spring rolls that were quite tasty as well.



We also had a mini birthday party back at the hotel (I’m going a bit out of order, this happened before the dinner) complete with cake and a “Happy 21st Birthday” banner, though it wasn’t hung. It’s the thought that counts, right? From Carla I got a book light, a very cute reusable bag to use to carry groceries, and a very nice UCC sweatshirt (apparently students don’t wear school paraphernalia here, it’s considered snobby. I like to think about it as pride, but I’ll wait to wear it until I’m at home all the same). Mom got me some Euros, a scarf I had been eyeing in the Avoca store in Dublin (she wasn’t very subtle about getting that one past me though), and a sticker with my name on it that can go in my car window. I was really excited about that last one because in the states they NEVER have my name on key chains or anything. Just another reason to like Europe, I suppose

After I finished my birthday celebrations with Mom and Carla I went to the Washington Inn again to watch the Spain v. Germany game and start the “real” celebration. I was very kindly purchased two ciders, one was original, the other was berry (which was tasty), and both were Irish. Then a couple others and I went around the corner to a bar called The Classic that was jam-packed and played very loud music. I got a couple more drinks there and was home safe and sound by midnight. I woke up feeling just fine, if a bit tired, this morning, so I’ll count yesterday as a successful 21st birthday!



I would like to say thank you for all the birthday wishes I received on facebook and otherwise. As much fun as I had yesterday, I wish I could have celebrated this big birthday with everyone at home as well. We’ll just have to make up for it when I get back huh? Finally, happy late birthday to Rachel and Jeff! I hope you both had great days!

Amelia

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Little One!
    I have been enjoying reading your blog and looking at all of the beautiful photographs!
    I think it ROCKS that you got to celebrate your
    21st birthday in an Irish Pub!! But I am not pleased to hear that you are missing language classes. :( How are you going to teach me Irish when you get home if you don't go to class???!!!
    This is actually the second time I've tried to post something, so I hope this works!
    Remember this advice that one of the priests from our parish gave Sammi before she went to Rome: "Don't let your classes get in the way of your education!" :) Make the most of this fabulous opportunity!
    love,
    Peggy Siefert

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're reading this and enjoying it! :D I'm sorry I didn't go to class but I didn't really enjoy the first one. I'll give it another try though, just for you. I'm going to have to start doing a lot of work soon, I have an essay test AND an essay due on friday, but I'm still having fun! Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well did you think this was going to be ALL FUN? Gee, now that I think about it, that's how I would've gone into a trip like this.... :) Oh well, there's got to be something to be said for doing alot of work in Ireland vs. doing a lot of work in Iowa!!!!
    Do you have time to make a quick trip to kiss the Blarney Stone before you start all of those essays??!! :) Wow, imagine Amelia's verbal capacity AFTER kissing the famous Stone...it boggles the imagination!
    Back here in l'il ole' Polk City we are having fun imagining all of the fun you're having!
    TTFN,
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete